All sizes are actual dimensions, not lumber-yard "measurements".
- one 57 3/4" x 11 1/4" x 3/4" seat board
- two 16" x 11 3/4" x 3/4" leg boards
- one 51" x 3 1/3" x 3/4" support board
- I used a power sander to round off all the corners on the seat board. I wanted a nice pretty smooth round shape, and I ended up with an imperfect outcome, but it was pretty good. I also sanded all the board surfaces, especially around knots. I wiped the board off with a damp paper towel.
- Knowing that I wanted to complete this task in minimum time, I began applying layers of polyurethane at this point. Although it would be undesirable to drill through some layers later, when I needed to construct everything, I just didn't want to wait to construct the entire thing before beginning the finishing process. If I were not pressed for time, I would have completed construction, then applied poly to the whole thing.
- The leg boards were the only part which required any finesse, by which I mean anything other than straight cuts.
- I cut two 16" lengths of board and clamped them together, using other thin boards to protect the leg boards
- Using the best tools I could muster, a power jigsaw and a power sander, I finished the ends so they were exactly the same shape.
- I drew a curve with a pencil on one end and cut both boards with the jigsaw. This gave shape to the bottom of the legs, forming one little leg on each edge of the board.
- Measuring two inches from each edge of the other end of the board, I drew a straight line along the hypotenuse to the outside bottom edge. Actually I drew the line to a couple inches above the bottom, so that the little leg on each edge would have a bit of a square to it. Although I desperately wanted to cut that nice straight line with a circular saw, I could not do so safely with my limited tools, and I instead cut it with a jigsaw, and smoothed it with a sander.
- I heavily sanded all edges to make them as smooth and nice as possible.
You got a kitty cat! Good on you, what is the name? Rescue or kitten?ReplyDelete