Some things I did right
- I screwed the top planks to a sheet of plywood for stability and ease of construction.
- I made it a little bit bigger than average dining tables, which are often too small to serve a lot of people a lot of food comfortably.
- I made the whole thing about an inch taller than the standard table height, 31-to-32 inches, because that standard was set when Americans were a smaller people.
- I did a good job of sinking the screws in the table deck, and filling in the holes with wood putty.
- I applied the polyeurathane too thick.
- I attached the legs after applying polyeurathane, meaning the screws holding on the legs penetrate the coating.
- I wish I had found a polyeurathane which was more perfectly clear; the one I chose ended up with a mellow yellow tone.
- Most seriously, it never perfectly dried. If you leave something heavy on it for a while, it will leave an indent in the tabletop which fades and disappears over the course of minutes or hours.
- In some places where the polyeurathane collected on the edges, bubbles or a layer of air caused permanent malformation. I scraped, sanded, and re-layered those parts.
Nice job, nonetheless. You are becoming quite the handyman|carpenter|home engineer with all your projects.ReplyDelete